Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 22 of 22

Thread: Help verifying Horns 511E's

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Help verifying Horns 511E's

    Quote Originally Posted by DSauro View Post
    ...
    I may as well go public with my findings. I have always crossed my 515/288/511E combo's @ 500hz. Just always thought in a horn loaded app that was "proper". BUT, with these networks I have experimented with 800hz & even 1200hz with surprisingly nice results. My 515-8LF's (old Anaheim alnico models) roll off very little after 1000hz, and the old data sheet says good to 1500hz. This is, after all a hifi app, so yes, they sound great with a little more grunt down lower.
    ...
    I've experimented too and found that depending on a lot of things they may sound better lower or higher. When I get the edge treatments back on the 511E's properly(still haven't figured out perfection here) I KNOW they sound better lower. Higher sounds warmer...less detailed. Depending on the quality of the power amps....depending on the source material, depending on the treatment of the horns, depending on the drivers, depending on the nature of the crossover design. It's like the joke about the old guy who was asked....do you wear boxers or briefs? uh...depends.

  2. #22
    HB Super Moderator
    Help verifying Horns 511E's


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Help verifying Horns 511E's

    Quote Originally Posted by DSauro View Post
    Yeah John, the 1285-8B's are adjustable 500, 800, & 1200hz, and they are workhorses compared to the "A" versions.....and yes, got them from Bill, thanks to Todd.

    but I'm still hooked on the 802-8G with 811B's, preferably with 23744 dia's.
    288's rock this neighborhood, though.
    OK Thanks Dave, I'll see if I can find a pair again.I'm in complete agreement about the 802-8G's and 23744's and the 288's I like them on 511B's too. I picked up a pair of NOS 802-8G's with brand new 23744 Frams. tonight they are still in the original packing, Styrofoam,etc.. price was steep though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    It's like the joke about the old guy who was asked....do you wear boxers or briefs? uh...depends.
    :laffingassoff:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.